This is the recipe for the pancakes I made for breakfast this morning. I forgot to post it at the bottom of the video post. The pancakes were delicious and healthier than the "out of the box - just add milk" kind.
The recipe comes from the Southern Living Ultimate Quick & Easy Cookbook that I have. It is actually called Pumpkin Pancakes, but I didn't have any canned pumpkin so I just used applesauce instead.
Pumpkin Pancakes
Prep time: 8 minutes
Yields: 12 (4 inch) pancakes
Ingredients:
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice
2 large eggs, separated
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup canned pumpkin (or applesauce)
1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
Directions:
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl; make a well in center of mixture.
- Combine egg yolks, milk, pumpkin (or applesauce) and butter; add to four mixture, stiffing just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Beat egg whites at high speed with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Gently fold beaten egg whites into pumpkin (applesauce) mixture.
- Pour about 1/4 cup batter for each pancake onto a hot, lightly greased griddle. Cook pancakes until tops are covered with bubbles and edges look cooked; turn and cook other side.
I really wish I had taken a picture because they even looked yummy! Now I'm interested in buying some canned pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice to give the real recipe a shot. I think I'd like them a whole lot. Does anyone else have any really good, healthy breakfast recipes they'd like to share with me. Chase and I are back on our health food kick so we're cutting up as much processed foods as possible. So far I'm loving it. Yes, it takes more time and it cost a bit more but we're cooking with and eating REAL food minus all the chemicals and filler products food companies put in products these days.
Sunday, October 21, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment